Next Summer, Central Texas Girl Scouts will have the opportunity of a lifetime to travel to the Greek Island of Cyprus and spend TWO enchanting weeks with the Cyprus Girl Guides. If that doesn't sound exciting enough, check out these fun facts about Cyprus!
1. Cyprus is known as the “Playground of the Gods”
2. In Greek mythology, Aphrodite, the Greek Goddess of Love was born on the beach in Cyprus.
3. 371 species of birds, 26 species of fish and 20 species of Orchids call Cyprus home
4. Third largest island in the Mediterranean Sea
5. Mt. Olympus is the country’s highest point (6,402 ft. above sea level)
6. A rare variety of sheep—the Cyprus Muffon—can only be seen in Cyprus and nowhere else in the world
7. The Cypriot summer lasts from April – November!
8. Greek is the country’s primary language
9. The city of Paphos is so rich with unique history, the entire city is considered a World Heritage site!
10. The Cyprus “handkerchief tree” is said to have special healing powers! Visitors tie a handkerchief to the tree, make a wish and wait for the magic to happen!