Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Thank You Volunteers!

Heather and Carrie

Before I became an employee of the Girl Scouts of Central Texas council, I served as a Girl Scout volunteer for six consecutive years. I was a troop leader to a very active troop, an E.L.F (Experienced Leader Friend) on our Service Team, and served as a Co-Service Unit Director for a year. My time as a volunteer was a fulfilling and rewarding experience.

When the opportunity to join the GSCTX staff as a volunteer support liaison, I jumped at the chance. What better way to continue to serve the girls and volunteers than by supporting them at the council level. I am glad I made that choice five years ago because I have met some of the most amazing people over the years. 

Volunteers can be anyone and I have met people who fit into one or more of these areas:

  • Volunteers that work directly with their daughter’s troop. 
  • Volunteers who don’t have daughters of their own but believe in the mission of the organization so they serve as troop leaders. 
  • Volunteers that stick around after their daughters graduate high school because of the satisfaction they get from helping grow girls into leaders and from helping new volunteers. 
  • Volunteers that lead girl Robotics teams. 
  • Volunteers that enjoy supporting behind the scenes and handle paperwork, cookies and spreadsheets. Volunteers that love the good ol’ outdoors and some that prefer the inside.

I have met women and men, old and young, who are eager and enthusiastic about building the leaders of tomorrow and making a difference in the world. I am grateful for every volunteer and what they do to build each Girl Scout of courage, confidence and character.

Whether you give one hour a month or 20 hours a week, whether you enjoy camping or technology, whether you work with Daises or Ambassadors, my hat is off to you! I genuinely and sincerely appreciate all that you do to support our girls.

Thank you! -Heather Givens

No comments:

Post a Comment