- There are approximately 2.3 million children age 5 or under in Texas.
- While 16.3% of the overall Texas population lives in poverty, the child poverty rate is a staggering 23.1%.
- Nearly 54,000 births per year are to mothers ages 13-19.
- It is projected that nearly a quarter of Texas children do not have health insurance.
- In 2008 there were more than 70,000 confirmed cases of child abuse or neglect.
- 26% of children ages 3-4 are in public Pre-K, up from 19.4%.
- 92% of 11th graders pass the English reading section of the TAKS test.
- Only 65% of 10th graders pass the Math section of the TAKS test.
Change can be a slow process but by each of us committing ourselves to our youth and the future of Texas, we can make a difference.