Girls are pretty popular. Nearly every week new information about girls, what they do, what they like and how they act is showing up in the media. Now, for your reading pleasure, here are some of the most informative and interesting recent news articles all about girls.
- “Girl’s Refusal to be Child Bride Inspires Nation,” ABC News, July 17, 2009
Summary: India has been inspired by Rekha, a 13 year old girl who refused to be a child bride and instead insists on continuing her education.
- “Girls and Dieting, Then and Now,” Wall Street Journal, Sept. 2, 2009
Summary: In 1986 studies showed that 80% of fourth grade girls were on a diet. Now those same girls are adults and they say today’s girls have it even tougher than they did.
- “Why Women Love to Shop,” ABC News, Dec. 9, 2009
Summary: Does it all really go back to the basic hunter-gatherer distinction? A light-hearted look in honor of the holidays
And here are a few articles specifically about Girl Scouts here in Central Texas.
- "Girl Scouts awards ceremony," Waco Tribune, May 17, 2009
Summary: View this photo slideshow from a service unit awards ceremony.
- "Girl Scouts Complete Gold Award Projects," Round Rock Leader, Oct. 16, 2009
Summary: Two Round Rock area Girl Scouts complete their Gold Award projects. The Gold Award is the highest honor a high school Girl Scout can earn.
- “Ethicon Gives Girl Scouts $15,000 to Promote Science and Math Careers,” San Angelo Standard Times, Nov. 16, 2009
Summary: For the second year in a row, Ethicon gives a generous donation to STEM programs at GSCTX.