Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Cool Side of Girl Scouts

Marisa Webre Daisy Bridging Ceremony
Marisa's Daisy Bridging Ceremony
I joined Girl Scouts as a Daisy and consider it one of the best decisions of my life so far. Girl Scouts was a big part of my childhood and majority of my memories stem from experiences as a Girl Scout. I fondly remember all of the troop meetings with my fellow Girl Scouts, the exciting trips to new places and all of the fun camp outs. I also went on to earn my Silver and Gold Award, which are two of the highest honors in Girl Scouting. 

Never for a second did I doubt my decision to stay in Girl Scouts through my senior year of high school. I continued to enjoy activities like selling cookies and I got to travel to Europe with my troop and be a part of the National Convention one year in Atlanta, Georgia. It was a moment I will never forget and not one I could have experienced otherwise. Friends and classmates questioned my Girl Scout membership but that’s only because they were unaware of all the opportunities available to me.

Marisa Webre Gold Award
Marisa's Gold Award Ceremony
After I earned my Gold Award and graduated from high school, I decided to join Girl Scouts as a lifetime member. And I didn’t stop there. I am currently the Graphic Designer for the Central Texas council; the council I was once a part of as a girl. Being able to give back to the organization that helped shape who I am today and being able to do what I love is a dream come true.

I strongly encourage all girls to stick with Girl Scouts or whatever interests them. Sometimes it isn’t most popular choice but in the end, you will reap the benefits and be glad you stuck with it.

-Marisa Webre

No comments:

Post a Comment