Thursday, April 7, 2011

What Girl Scouts Means to Me & What It Can Mean for You.

IMG_1065When I entered high school, I was suddenly introduced to tons of new and really exciting opportunities, and in the first few weeks of freshman year I’d already signed up for the rock climbing club, made the junior varsity volleyball team, and landed a big role in the school musical. I was also victim to a whole new level of homework – high school classes gave SO MUCH homework!! At a new school, I made lots of new friends, and so on top of all of my new responsibilities, I wanted free time to hang out with them.

It would have been easy for me to simply quit Girl Scouting, like a lot of people I know had done. However, I really enjoyed scouts, and I knew that Scouting could offer me lots of new and exciting opportunities in high school. In high school, Scouting opened doors for my personal growth through national and international study. I was chosen to represent Texas at the international Leadership Conference of Girl Scouts in Indianapolis in my sophomore year of high school, where I got to meet and work with Scouts from across the globe. The Girl Scouts also sponsored me on a service trip to Costa Rica, where I camped on the beach for 2 weeks and surfed for hours every day. And this summer I am taking a long backpacking trip along the Appalachian Trail with a group of Girl Scouts. These are the kinds of fun opportunities that are only available to high school aged Girl Scouts.

Being in Girl Scouts has also really helped me get into the college of my choice. I was recently accepted into Plan II at the University of Texas, UT’s prestigious honors program, and my acceptance was largely due to my continued participation in Scouting. Not only does my long career as a Girl Scout represent a lot of community service work, it also proves that I am dedicated and can stick with something I’m passionate about.

I am forever grateful for all that Girl Scouting has done for me, and I am SO glad I stayed in Scouting, even when I had a million other things on my plate! I encourage every Girl Scout to continue with the organization! It’s worth it!!!

-Annie L.

1 comment:

  1. Annie L. - I landed here because I'm a grandfather of an 8 year old youngster that is 'into' scouting in a rather big way and is currently working on a Power Point presentation about what scouting means to her. I liked your posting and presentation of what it means and has meant to you, and wanted you to know that I appreciate it and think you are on the right track and I wish you the best in your bright future.
    Bob Mc

    ReplyDelete