Friday, December 3, 2010

GSUSA Board Member & Central Texas Girl Scouts Star in Magazine Photoshoot

P1140712Yesterday, Siempre Mujer Magazine took photos of several Central Texas Girl Scouts with GSUSA National Board Member Sylvia Acevedo. The photos will be featured in an article about Sylvia's philanthropy work with Girl Scouts and other causes. A Girl Scout in her youth, Sylvia recounts on her experiences with the organization:

"At my very first Girl Scout meeting, I saw that the Brownies were pledging allegiance to America, preparing for a day camp (fun!) and were practicing safety skills. After that first meeting, I raced home to share with my mother that Brownies do fun things, they help you plan, be good citizens and they take care of you… Even though she spoke little English, my mother, encouraged by my troop leaders, began to volunteer. As I was earning badges, my mother’s new friends, the troop leaders, helped her learn English and to pass the citizenship test to become a US citizen. Through Girl Scouts, my mother and I gained an entire new world of opportunities that added to our Latina heritage and strengthened our entire family."

-Sylvia Acevedo

To view more pictures of the photoshoot, please visit the GSCTX Flickr account.

No comments:

Post a Comment